The course focuses on customer service and the sales process, with the following high-level performance goals for participants:
- Understand the principles of retail to have a solid foundation when applying for and interviewing for jobs.
- Know the range of opportunities and diversity of retail careers and determine which one aligns with personal goals, needs, and preferences.
- Build a career in retail based on the knowledge of a realistic career path and the necessary experience, training, personal commitment (meaning being reliable, etc.) and education to support that goal.
- Understand that the skills developed in an entry-level role in retail are transferable to many other roles and industries making retail an excellent way to start any career or career change.
Retail Industry Fundamentals 1: Welcome to Retail
- What is Retail?
- The Retail Product Cycle
Retail Industry Fundamentals 2: Customer Service and Sales and Retail Operations
- Customer Service Skills
- Sales Basics
- Retail Operations Basics
- Loss Prevention
- Workplace Safety
- Understanding Profit
Retail Industry Fundamentals 3: Career Fundamentals
- Being Professional
- A Place For You In Retail
This course prepares students to take the NRF Retail Industry Fundamentals national certification exam. The cost of the course INCLUDES the cost of the national certification exam.
The untimed exam consists of 50 multiple-choice questions delivered in 3 parts:
- Part 1: 16 questions
- Part 2: 17 questions
- Part 3: 17 questions
The exam is not proctored, and learners can take each exam part 2 times before they must pay for a retake.