Wireless networking has become one of the fastest growing segments within the computer industry. This course will introduce students to the fundamentals of wireless and mobile network standards systems. Students will become familiar with an introduction to wireless networking technology, wireless communications, two types of wireless technology/short and long range, network planning, and wireless network standards and security. This course covers both the fundamentals of wireless networking and the practical aspects of wireless systems. Students will become familiar with wireless standards, and mobile development platforms, as well as emerging technologies and concepts covering network security. The course will describe concepts, technology and applications of wireless networking as used in current and next-generation wireless networks. In addition, the course addresses the fundamentals of wireless communications and provides an overview of existing and emerging wireless communication networks. The goal of this course is to impart state-of-the-art technologies of wireless networking and motivate students’ interest in further advanced courses in network technology.
- Examine the fundamentals of wireless network technology.
- Describe the evolution of wireless networks.
- Explain and utilize basic networking terminology.
- Explain fundamentals of wireless communications.
- Examine existing and emerging wireless communication networks.
- Examine the concepts of wireless technology and how wireless networking fits in.
- Examine and explore networking standards.
- Examine models that govern all wireless networking technologies.
- Explore how long-range wireless technologies behave in operational networks.
- Explore how short-range wireless technologies behave in operational networks.
- Understand how to plan a wireless network and apply wireless network planning concepts.
- Explore wireless network planning concepts and examine overall management of day-to-day networking activities.
- Describe and examine the components of good network security.
- Identify and describe wireless network security issues.
- Explore various security capabilities in wireless networks.
- Examine how networks secure their wireless connections.
Lesson 1: Introduction to Wireless Networking Technology
In this lesson the student will be introduced to Wireless Networking Technology
Lesson 2: Wireless Communications
This lesson will examine the Evolution of Wireless Communications and Networks
Lesson 3: Two Types of Wireless Technology/Short and Long Range
In this lesson students will explore the fundamentals of Short and Long Range Wireless Technology
Lesson 4: Planning for a Wireless Network
In this lesson the student will explore how to plan and implement a Secure Wireless Network
Lesson 5: Wireless Standards and Network Security
This lesson will examine Wireless Standards and Network Security