This course will provide an overview of consulting as a profession and will introduce the basic concepts included in consulting, such as establishing credibility and managing clients. Case studies will demonstrate the concepts in a practical manner. Additional topics covered in this course include proposing and delivering consulting services, client interactions, and the skills involved in advising others.
- Describe the role of a business consultant.
- Explain ethical consulting.
- Identify basic and detailed steps in preparation for working with a client.
- Describe methods for establishing credibility.
- Identify best practices in managing client meetings.
- Identify practices to avoid when setting up a consulting business.
- Identify best practices in client interactions.
- Explain how to overcome client-related obstacles.
- Explain how deductive and inductive reasoning are essential in advising clients.
Lesson 1: Preparing to be a Consultant
In this lesson, we will explore an overview of consulting, including qualifications for being a consultant and reviewing ethics in consulting. We will also review the preparation steps necessary to start consulting.
Lesson 2: Establishing Credibility and Managing Meetings
In this lesson, we will look at the first steps after getting a consulting job. Introductions and establishing credibility will be covered. We will also review best practices in client meetings including setting objectives, the composition of the consulting team, and structuring the meeting.
Lesson 3: Proposing and Delivering a Consulting Service
In this lesson, we will learn how to propose and deliver a consulting service. Topics include selecting content for a written proposal, optimizing the client experience, and consulting methodologies. Practices to avoid will also be covered.
Lesson 4: Client Interactions
In this lesson, we will discuss client interactions and the skill of advising. We will learn the importance of adaptability, how to deal with potential obstacles, and methods for advising others.